‘Khoresht-e-aloo va esfenaj’ or Persian spinach and dried plum stew is another popular dish in the Beech household. This recipe should serve 4-5 people.
- 750 g lamb chopped into cubes
- 750 g fresh spinach
- 2 chopped large onions
- 12-15 dried plums
- 1 ½ cups of split peas
- 3-4 cups of water
- Boil split peas separately until almost soft
- Fry the lamb, onions and dried plums in a medium pan over a moderate heat until they turn golden-brown, adding salt to taste.
- Add 3-4 cups of water, add split peas, put lid on pan and simmer for c. 25 minutes
- Add spinach and simmer for a further 15 minutes
- Serve with Persian-style white rice